There are vibrant servers out there that can take care of your data, the tasks being performed by you and overall supervision of everything that is going on under your business. You might have heard about project servers of Microsoft, have you?
Well, once you have decided to upgrade to Project Server 2013, you should take into consideration that you might have to upgrade your clients that you decide to connect to Microsoft Project Server. Clients that are connecting through Project Professional or Project Web application might no longer be in a position to connect with their current client software or web browser once they upgrade to Project Server 2013. Similarly it is important that you verify that your computer fulfils the hardware and software needs when you install Project Server 2013. Remember when you plan for hardware that is needed for a Project Server 2013 placement, as a starting point, you must decide the usage needs for your Project Server 2013 environment. The variables include number of projects, users, tasks, average tasks per project and so on.
You know one thing that has been seen in many Project Server implementations consistently is inefficient usage of the Project Sites. It might be because the company or business already has another instrument like SharePoint or something to collaborate, store data and so on. In most of the cases, the project websites are often used for basic stuff in most rudimentary way. It is not at all wrong but it is not really justice for the instrument you are using. When it can give you much more; why not make the optimal use of it?
How to Use the Site Effectively Under Project Server
The most effective thing would be to use the content types without any fear. Anyone who has been from a SharePoint side of the world can understand the influence of content types. The Project Documents Library, Issues and dangers everything comes with default content types. But you know these can be changed. There are some advantages like:
- The Content Types are really helpful in standardising document templates. It means next time when you require a template for any Project Charter, there won’t be any need to figure out where you actually saved the last version. You can simply take from a list AND control what template splashes behind that list. This way the users always get the latest version.
- Then you know content types help you in managing changes centrally. It means if you need to add a fresh column like project status across all the project websites, you are going to be happy that you used content types.
- Don’t forget that content types help in controlling workflows centrally. You can easily attach a workflow to any content type and it is going to be applied everywhere where the content type is.
- It is also true that content types are helpful in filtering-searching of project artefacts. This way you need not to do much filtering because everything would be right there.
- It might take your excitement to next level that content types do not only apply to Documents. These apply to Risks, Issues, Tasks and any other list or library you can think of. Do you still make use of that Excel Sheet as a Risk Register? Come on, you can easily convert that into a SharePoint list and you can use a custom content type to add different types of columns you need and control all risk across the project server that too centrally.
So, once you switch to Project online for your business working; you can find so much to explore and you can use its features for effective outcomes.